CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

2.4.09

Principles and Ordinances of the gospel of Jesus Christ


The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is Christ's church restored to the Earth. Because of this, ". . . we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins."(2 Nephi 25:26) Christ is the only way whereby men can be saved, and he has taught us the steps we need to follow to return to live with our Heavenly Father again.

"We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost."(Articles of Faith 4) These four principles are what the Lord has taught will lead us to salvation. It is when we are exercising our Faith in the Lord, repenting of our sins, getting baptised, and listening to the Holy Ghost that we being fully obedient to the Lord and his commandments.

Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ:


I have been taught that faith is things which are hoped for and not seen. (Ether 12:6) Sometimes it is hard for me to have a complete faith and rely wholly on the Lord. My pride gets in the way of allowing me to see that Christ can do all things, if I put my trust in him. "Yea, and how is it that ye have forgotten that the Lord is able to do all things according to his will, for the children of men, if it so be that they exercise faith in him? Wherefore, let us be faithful to him." (1 Nephi 7:12) Nephi, a prophet in the Book of Mormon, is a wonderful example of someone who has a meek and whole faith in Christ. "And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them." (1 Nephi 3:7) This example teaches me that I need not fear anything that I may be faced with in the future. As long as I have faith in Christ, I can trust that he will help me do whatever he asks of me.

Throughout my life I have discovered that a key for me to keep faith is to always remember Christ, and all that he has done for me. When I remember that it was Christ who created the Heavens and the Earth, and all that is in them, it is easy for me to have faith that he will help me in my life. "And now, my beloved brethren, after ye have gotten into this strait and narrow path, I would ask if all is done? Behold, I say unto you, Nay; for ye have not come thus far save it were by the word of Christ with unshaken faith in him, relying wholly upon the merits of him who is mighty to save." (2 Nephi 31:9)



Repentance:

Because of Christ's atonement, I have the opportunity to repent of all my sins, and be forgiven. "Hath [Christ] commanded any that they should not partake of his salvation? Behold I say unto you, Nay; but he hath given it free for all men; and he hath commanded his people that they should persuade all men to repentance." (2 Nephi 26:27) It is such a wonderful blessing, and one that I too often take for granted, that salvation. Christ has already paid the price for our sins, we only need to follow him.

When I sin, I feel an awful weight of guilt upon me. As I am not a perfect person, I sin everyday. Without repentance, that load would grow and continue getting heavier with each passing day. Through repentance, I have a chance to release that burden, and experience rest."And now, my brethren, I would that ye should humble yourselves before God, and bring forth fruit meet for repentance, that ye may also enter into that rest." (Alma 13:13)

Gaining salvation requires action. This means that if I don't repent, there will be negative consequences. "Therefore if that man repenteth not, and remaineth and dieth an enemy to God, the demands of divine justice do awaken his immortal soul to a lively sense of his own quilt, which doth cause him to shrink from the presence of the Lord, and doth fill his breast with guilt, and pain, and anguish, which is like an unquenchable fire, whose flame ascendeth up forever and ever."(Mosiah 2:38)


Christ loves us so much that he was willing to suffer for all our sins. Repenting for our sins is not easy, but it is the only way provided for us to receive eternal salvation, and it is a lot easier than if we had to pay for our own sins ourselves. I am so very thankful for repentance and for the promise that we will be forgiven if we are truly sorry for what we've done. There is always hope through Christ.


Baptism by Immersion:

In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we believe in baptism by immersion, immersing the whole body, at the age of accountability. This age was revealed by modern-day prophets to be eight years of age. When we are baptized, we make covenants with the Lord.

"And it came to pass that he said unto them: Behold, here are the waters of Mormon (for thus were they called) and now, as ye are desirous to come into the fold of God, and to be called his people, and are willing to bear one another’s burdens, that they may be light; Yea, and are willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in, even until death, that ye may be redeemed of God, and be numbered with those of the first resurrection, that ye may have eternal life— Now I say unto you, if this be the desire of your hearts, what have you against being baptized in the name of the Lord, as a witness before him that ye have entered into a covenant with him, that ye will serve him and keep his commandments, that he may pour out his Spirit more abundantly upon you?" (Mosiah 18: 8-10)

Baptism is one of the first steps that must be accomplished in order to gain salvation. In the book of Alma we are taught that". . . whoso believeth in me, and is baptised, the same shall be saved; and they are they who shall inherit the kingdom of God." (3 Nephi 11:33)

The most beautiful example of baptism is found in our Savior, Jesus Christ. He was perfect, a man with our fault, yet he was baptized to show his complete obedience to his Father's command. "And now, if the Lamb of God, he being holy, should have need to be baptized by water, to fulfil all righteousness, O then, how much more need have we, being unholy, to be baptized, yea, even by water!" (2 Nephi 31:5)


Being baptized is also a sign unto the world, that you are willing to take upon you the name of Christ, and ". . . as a witness and a testimony that [you are] willing to serve God with all [your] heart . . ." (Mosiah 21:35)

These principles of Christ's gospel are necessary for main to obtain salvation. They fit in perfectly with the plan of happiness, and our role in that plan. Christ has already paved the way for us to return to live with him. All we need do is understand his gospel and be obedient to his commandments. I know I am happiest when I am living righteously, and choosing the right. I have a testimony of the Plan of Salvation, and the reality that if I am faithful, I can return to live with my Father in Heaven once more.

3 comments:

Selah said...

hahha welll!!!!! i have never seen someone sooooo committed!!! if you were a man i would marry you!! oh man if this is a prophet i only meant that as in when i get married in the temple i want my hubby to love the gospel more than me...i love a man with gospel. if this is a girl.......YOU GO GIRL!! hahah

Selah said...

WELL wasnt that spiritual!!! wow are you a mormon or what???!?!?!? ahhaha are you a prophet? and nice website name...ahah oh if you didnt you notice by now i a mormon too;)

Selah said...

WELL wasnt that spiritual!!! wow are you a mormon or what???!?!?!? ahhaha are you a prophet? and nice website name...ahah oh if you didnt you notice by now i a mormon too;)